Re: Stolen debian logo?

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 23:24, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 10:00:06AM -0500, David Clymer said
> > This indicates that my saying a work is licensed under the GPL, any user
> > thereof must abide by the GPL when using the work in ways addressed by
> > this license. One is explicitly denied permission to use the work in
> > ways which violate this license. Permission to use the work in
> > accordance with the license is implicit.
>
> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
>
> The GPL explicitly places NO restrictions on the use of software, only
> distribution.

Perhaps I was unclear, but I think you misconstrued my statement. One
must adhere to the GPL with respect to those actions (I said "uses"
which are addressed by the GPL (namely copying, modification,
distribution). Perhaps "uses" was not a good word choice. Restrictions
on running a GPLed program are explicitly absent from the license.

from the GPL:
Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope. The act of running
the Program is not restricted, and the output from the Program is
covered only if its contents constitute a work based on the Program
(independent of having been made by running the Program). Whether that
is true depends on what the Program does.

-davidc