Re: Debian laptop and internet connection sharing

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 03:18:49AM -0500, nick wrote:
> I sometimea use my Debian Laptop with a Wi-Fi card to access the Verizon
> WiFi spots in Manhattan. My partner (in the ambulance) is finding it
> increasingly difficult to find public WAP's.
> Would it be possible for him to plug a crossover cable into my RJ45 jack
> and share my internet connection while I am connected to a WAP via my
> WiFi card?
> I attempted to use Google, but could only find HowTo's regarding desktop
> machines and standard NIC's. Any pointers to a guide or HowTo would be
> appreciated.
>
> I also tried the reverse. Using his Window XP lgged into verizon, I
> tried to enable ICS (internet connection sharing), I was able to get an
> IP address on the debain laptop, but was not able to surf the web.

Probably not the problem, but with this setup using winxp,
Did you make sure both laptops have IPs on the same subnet on their
shared port.
I am guessing the wifi cards gets an address through dhcp. From my
experience you should set the local Ethernet (shared one) to
192.168.0.1 and the one on your laptop to 192.168.0.2. Make sure you
can ping 192.168.0.1 from your laptop (you may need to turn off the
winxp firewall on that port but not sure), and that works make your
laptop use the winxp as the router and dns server.