Re: Dual boot Debian/Windows question

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 04:37:17PM -0700, Mark Phillips wrote:
The Linux howtwo on this subject warns about directly mounting My
Documents from Windows in Linux, and suggests creating a separate vfat
partition to share files. Is that really necessary? What are the reasons
(they were not mentioned in the article)?
As others have mentioned, it's the NTFS partition that you shouldn't mount rw, not the "My Documents" directory. If you want to mount "My Documents", you can create a VFAT partition, and then from within Windows mount that partition on your "My Documents" directory. However, since that directory is a "system" directory, it'll probably take some effort on your part to convince Windows to let you move/rename/mount the directory as necessary while doing this task (at least, that was the situation for me with the "Program Files" directory when I did it once).

--
Kent