Re: Kernel compile blues

Mmm quoting from http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-erros.en.html :

> If the error looked like:
>
> E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 Permission denied) > E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?
>
> when trying any apt-get method other than source, you don't have root permission, that is, you're running as a normal user.
>
> There's an error similar to the above which happens when you run two copies of apt-get at the same time, or even if you try to run apt-get while a dpkg process is active. The only method that can be used simultaneously with others is the source method.

So it presumably comes from another process running (some dpkg/dselect/apt process)... See if you find one such process running in the background or something...
Is it a recurrent problem? (even after a reboot?)

> 	Thanks a lot for the links above. Don't we need to compile a
> 	kernel in the generic way before using kpkg?

Well I never compiled a kernel in the generic way :) I just switched from Windows to debian, and when I had to compile my first kernel, I asked google how to compile a kernel for debian and found the page I gave you in my previous email. make-kpkg works really well for me. I guess it takes care of configuration problems by itself. To avoid module-related problems, I always compile my kernels with different --append-to-version strings (see make-kpkg manual). However, I recall having had a problem with initrd too, this was fixed with a line in lilo.conf, I can't remember... maybe "initrd=/boot/xxx" (I don't use initrd anymore).

Good luck,

Jeremie