Re: chroot + apt-get

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 00:35, Horst Exenberger wrote:
> That means that there are no problems, even if apt-get/dpkg writes on the
> screen that it is restarting daemons, I just don't need to care about it.

I have seen two behaviors (I saw them tonight in different systems):

1. I get a message that a service is being restarted (tonight,
   it was CUPS).  The server itself was running CUPS, and the
   server cupsd process was not affected (seems to say ignore
   the message is OK).  This was in a client that was not
   shutdown properly -- runlevel reports something other than
   0 when chrooted here.

2. I get a message from invoke-rc.d(8) noting that it won't do
   a service restart due to current run level.  runlevel reports
   0 in this chroot system.

It worked OK in case 1. for cupsys this evening, but I'd think that if
runlevel reports 1 or 2 or something other than 0 in the chroot, whether
server processes are affected would depend on the corresponding init
script.

It seems that shutting down clients so runlevel reports 0 when chroot in
the server is surely a safe way to do dist-upgrades in the server.  ?