Re: gnome

Vikram wrote:
[snip]
was not looking at the right place, but what is the version of Gnome that
comes with Debian Woody 3.0 revision 2?
[snip]
Version 1.4.

apt-cache show gnome-core
[snip]
That surprises me.  The Gnome is already 2.4.2 stable, why is Debian lagging
in adopting a newer version of Gnome.  If I were to install Debian 3.0_r2,
what would I have to get the benefits of the latest version of Gnome?  Do I
have to install a lot of packages or apt-get can take care of the entire
Gnome suite?  Sorry if my questions sound dumb.

[snip]

Stable (in the Debian sense) is designed to be rock-solid
stable.  Thus, upgrading GNOME from 1.4 to 2.4, represents
a huge change in the behavior of the system.  Not a good
thing if you admin 10000 workstations, and something breaks.
GNOME 2.4 is currently in testing, and will likely make out
in the next stable release.

Other distros will hapilly put the latest bleeding-edge versions
of software into their new releases.  But then, most other
distros have not earned the reputation for security that Debian
has earned.

-Roberto