Re: Worrying message at boot re. mount error

On 03 Feb 2004, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Hanspeter Kunz (<hkunz@ailab.ch>) wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 16:37, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >>
> >> I've noticed a worrying message at boot. It comes just after
> >> "Cleaning /tmp /var/run /var/lock"
> >>
> >> and reads:
> >> "mount: wrong fstype, bad option, bad superblock on tmpfs, or
> >> too many mounted filesystems"
> >>
> >> In spite of this, everything seems to work as it should and
> >> /var/log/boot does not show the same error message. Something
> >> misconfigured I suppose but I can't think where. Anyone know what it
> >> refers to or what needs to be done for it?
> >>
> > check /etc/fstab, I guess one of the entries is the problem.
>
> I thought that too, but (at least on Woody) the file systems in the
> fstab are mounted /before/ /tmp, /var/lock and /var/run are cleaned
> (logical, isn't it?). His problem appears /after/ cleaning these
> directories, so the problem maybe is caused by some initscript trying
> to mount tmpfs.
>
> best regards
>         Andreas Janssen

Thanks to everyone for helpful comments on this. Looks like Andreas is
right. The tmpfs stuff was coming from /etc/init.d/mountkernfs;
commenting out has removed the error message.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic