Re: xscreensaver and KDE

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 22:48:08 -0500
Paul M Foster <paulf@quillandmouse.com> wrote:

> I've noticed that in KDE, in the Control Center, you can select
> screensavers to run. Actually, either just one, or all of them
> randomly. However, I have an ~/.xscreensaver file where all my
> preferences are already picked out just the way I like them. It seems
> that KDE ignores this file in favor of its own setup somewhere else.
>
> This would be fine, except that when you run KDM, it appears to bypass
> the whole ~/.xinitrc setup, which is where I call xscreensaver as the
> first program to execute.
>
> So the question is: how can I get KDE automatically start up
> xscreensaver on startup (when running KDM)?

I wanted the same and did it this way.

Turn off all screensavers in KDE. Create an executable file in
~/.kde/Autostart, something like this:

#!/bin/bash
xscreensaver &

You can also add other things in there (I do) that you'd like to have
run every time KDE starts.

You can run the KDE screensavers from regular xscreensaver as well. Just
find the *.kss files and add them into ~/.xscreensaver manually. I don't
have it that way now, but I used to do it a couple of years ago. It's
mostly redundant, but sometimes KDE includes something not in the
regular program.

Now, if I could just get it working with IceWM or XFCE.

--
Nimda - Innovative Microsoft peer-to-peer software.