Re: Multi-head (non-Xinerama) window managers

Hi Martin,

Perhaps the simplest solution is to use Xinerama and just set the sticky
bit on the apps you wish to be global (ie. those on your "reference"
monitor)?  That will force them to stay put when you change desktops, but
you still have all of the advantages of having a single logical screen
through Xinerama.

Appropriate WM and/or Xresource tweaking will allow you to have certain
apps default to having their sticky bit set at startup if that's what you
want.

-- Brad

On Mon, 02 Feb 2004, martin f krafft wrote:

> I have spent a couple days now playing around with two screens,
> SLS (Xinerama, Single Logical Screen) and dual head, and I can't
> report success in finding an ideal solution pertaining to window
> managers.
>
> The short story, for those who don't want to read my ramblings and
> eexperiences: if you are using a window manager in a dual/multi-head
> configuration without Xinerama, and you are happy with it, please
> let me know which one you use and possibly share your configuration
> with me.
>
> The scenario in which I would like to use dual head is a work screen
> and next to it a screen for GUI applications, like the browser,
> jpilot, and a mail reader. Furthermore, I want multiple desktops.
> Running X with Xinerama means that a desktop change affects both
> screens, which is not what I want. Thus, I want to go without
> Xinerama.
[ . . . ]

--
Brad Sawatzky <bds9e@virginia.edu>
University of Virginia Physics Department