Package troubles. Apache won't start or uninstall, or anything.

My system is hosed!

I was upgrading postgresql to 7.3 and the packages wouldn't install
correctly.  I was able to get it working manually, and it was working fine
last night.

This morning, my cron ran apt and it tried configuring what was left in
dselect.  And apache was dead.

First, how do you clear all instructions from dselect?  If there's a
package it wants to do something to, how do you tell it to nevermind?

Now, back to apache...

Everytime I try and start apache, I get /etc/init.d/apache: line 65: 12229
Illegal instruction start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec
$DAEMON failed

Line 65 is "esac" as seen below

I tried uninstalling apache via dselect and reinstalling it.  Nothing.  No
change.

How do I actually uninstall apache, postgresql, etc?  Removing through
dselect doesn't seem to actually uninstall them.  I need them wiped.
Every trace of them gone, so I can try to reinstall them fresh.

I'm wholly frustrated.

#! /bin/bash
#
# apache        Start the apache HTTP server.
#

NAME=apache
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/apache
SUEXEC=/usr/lib/apache/suexec
PIDFILE=/var/run/$NAME.pid
CONF=/etc/apache/httpd.conf
APACHECTL=/usr/sbin/apachectl

trap "" 1
export LANG=C
export PATH

test -f $DAEMON || exit 0
test -f $APACHECTL || exit 0

# ensure we don't leak environment vars into apachectl
APACHECTL="env -i LANG=${LANG} PATH=${PATH} $APACHECTL"

if egrep -q -i "^[[:space:]]*ServerType[[:space:]]+inet" $CONF
then
    exit 0
fi

case "$1" in
  start)
    echo -n "Starting web server: $NAME"
    start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON
    ;;

  stop)
    echo -n "Stopping web server: $NAME"
    start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile $PIDFILE --oknodo --exec $DAEMON
    ;;

  reload)
    echo -n "Reloading $NAME configuration"
    start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile $PIDFILE --signal USR1 --exec
$DAEMON
    ;;

  reload-modules)
    echo -n "Reloading $NAME modules"
    start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile $PIDFILE --oknodo --retry 30
    start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile $PIDFILE --exec $DAEMON
    ;;

  restart)
    $0 reload-modules
    exit $?
    ;;

  force-reload)
    $0 reload-modules
    exit $?
    ;;

  *)
    echo "Usage: /etc/init.d/$NAME
{start|stop|reload|reload-modules|force-reload|restart}"
    exit 1
    ;;
esac

if [ $? == 0 ]; then
        echo .
        exit 0
else
        echo failed
        exit 1
fi

--
[ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)     ]
[ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music     ]