Re: software raid

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 06:16:32PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya andy
>
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Andy Firman wrote:
>
> > > for setup of a new system ( the right way?? )
> > > 	- make sure the partition type is FD(raid) not 82(linux)
> >
> > Can one simply change the partition type via fdisk on an existing system
> > if one is going to add a new drive to RAID1 the drives?
>
> i havent tried it ... i prefer a "clean" system so i awlays
> format the raid before and copying data from the orig drive to the new
> raid
>
> > Or must this be done during initial install?
>
> it's an experiment ( imho ) ... lots of howto convert single disk into
> "raid"
>
> 	http://www.1U-Raid5.net/HowTO/SW-Raid-HOWTO.txt
> 	( non-raid to raid setup towards the bottom )
>
> > > 	or just start with 2 fresh disks and leave the current disk alone
> > > 	and retire it after your new raid setup is testing/working and
> > > 	been running a few months
> >
> > I like this idea but I need help.
> > A server of mine has just one 20GB drive.
> >
> > I have 2 spare 40GB drives.  How would I make my current install on the
> > 20GB work on the 40GB drives that I want to setup RAID1 on?
>
> that makes it easy ... since you have 2 new disks
>
> get knoppix or other "standalone" cdrom ..
> 	- get it build your raid array w/ the raidtools and proper
> 		/etc/raidconf file
> 	- install that "working" cdrom system onto the new target raid
> 	- deselect stuff you don't want
> 	- make sure your kernel has raid support built into it or
> 	  you will have to build up an initrd too
> 	- restore your original "config"
>
> test that you can boot off hda  or hdc without intervention
> and all data resyncs all by itself when either is unplugged and
> re-inserted a few GB-sized files has been saved while in degraded
> mode
>
> > I don't want to do a fresh install as I spent alot of time on this
> > particular server configuring it a certain way.
>
> to save your packages you selected
>
> 	# Save system
> 	dpkg --get-selections * > /mnt/floppy/pkg.lst
> 	#
> 	# Restore system
> 	dpkg --set-selections <  /mnt/floppy/pkg.lst
> 	apt-get update
> 	apt-get dist-upgrade

The problem with that is that you get the packages but lose the
setup. You could also try to look for a howto about enlarging your
disk, I seem to recall there was one out there.
If I recall correctly, what I did (several years ago though) was to
setup a very basic system so that /dev was setup correctly (probably
not needed if you're using devfs but don't know) and then cp the
whole system to the new disk (watch where each partition goes, and make
sure not to copy /proc and /dev or you'll run into trouble).
Read the man page for cp, you'll need the options for preserving file
attributes, symbolic links and remaining on the same file system.
I believe tar is more appropriate then cp I think there is some way to
get it to pipe to the new disk somehow instead of actually taring (you
basically need some kind of mirroring application).
You can then run lilo/grub/etc on the new disk to get it up and running.