Re: software raid

hi ya lucas

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Lucas Albers wrote:

> I used raid1, lilo, a recompiled debian kernel with raid support, and
> mdadm tools to perform it.
>
> It was a nightmare trying to get mkinitrd to make the initrd image with
> raid modules in it, I screwed around trying to get it to work for at least
> a week. I gave up.
> Don't send me any information on how to use initrd with raid, I'm sick of
> initrd.img.

yup.. i know the feeling ....  so my standard answer is its 10x -100x
faster ( cheaper for the customer too ) to just buy 2 new disks
and than no data is lost either :-)
	if they rather pay for day or dayz or weeks instead of buy 2 new
	disks at $60ea .. its their $$$ to convert from non-raid to raid..

and yeah... initrd isnt too bad.. once you get the hang of it and what
its for ... and what to do to modify it .. just not enough good docs on
"initrd" is all

c ya
alvin