Re: Debian Certified Laptops!

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 05:16:41PM -0900, Greg Madden wrote:

> On Saturday 20 December 2003 05:35 am, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Kevin Mark wrote:
> > > Hi D-U list folks,
> > > there was a recent thread about TigerDirect giving the nod to
> > > M$WINDOWS. Now threre is a place to buy debian-certified (and can
> > > be preloaded with debian or RH) laptops! (from LWN.net)
> > > http://lwn.net/Articles/63933/
> > >
> > > "LinuxCertified Announces Debian Certified Laptop
> >
> > Definitely my christmas-present wish. Finally. T'was about time.
> >
> > Hugo.
>
> In my limited expeience, all the latops I have bought work with Debian,
> with the exception of modems. there is a driver you can dl from
> conexant that works with some modems. Beware of the desktop cpu in the
> laptop as it sucks power and drains the battery fast. ACPI is another
> feature that differs from vendor to vedor and is nice to have working
> in a laptop. The 2.4.23 kernel just fixed the 'reboot' issue on my Sony
> laptop. Other than ACPI my Sony 'just' works with Debian, is that a
> certification?  :)
> - --
> Greg Madden
> Debian GNU/Linux
------------------
Hi Greg,
many people on this list and and may gnu/linux people in general wish
for HW vendors to show some kind of 'yes, this work with $OS_FLAVOR' on
par with the 'we recommend XP' or 'works with XP'. If it DOES work,
great. But only a few folks like penguin computing, lindows,
LinuxCertified, etc. and a few HW vendors like ORINOCO
(agere,lucent,...) actually say in on the box and even fewer will
attempt any kind of support. How do these limited folks do it? Is it the
possbile LEGAL issues alone, the money for testing, the myriad of $OS?
the myraid of $VERSIONS?
Whats you take?

Happy $HOLIDAYS,
-Kev