Re: dial-up to ethernet

mmissett wrote:

Kent,

Thanks yet again. Sorry if I was not clear. I *did* run:

ps ax | grep -E 'dhcp|pump'
exactly that way.

What it produced in response was, exactly:

233pts/0  S  0:00 grep -E dhcp|pump

I don't know what that means, but if I am understanding you correctly, it means pump is not running?

Yes, that's what it means. The "ps" command shows what processes are running. The "ax" switches tell it to show _a_ll processes started from a terminal, and all processes started in some other fashion (_x_).

Then you're piping that output through the grep command, which is like a search function. It limits the output to whatever criteria you specify, in this case any lines that contain the phrase "dhcp" or the phrase "pump". (You could just do "ps ax" and then manually search the output.)

Since the ps command shows all processes with these phrases, and the ps command itself is running with these phrases on the "command line", then the ps command itself is shown as a process matching your search criteria. You're not really interested in that output; what you wanted was something like:
 215 ?        S      0:00 pump -i eth0

Since that doesn't show up, it would appear that pump, for whatever reason, is not running.

Despite the fact that:

/etc/init.d/networking start

*did* produce a reference to pump (the exact wording I don't remember-but as though it was running it) when it was trying to follow the altered version of

/etc/network/interfaces

You should be able to restart your networking
   /etc/init.d/networking stop
   /etc/init.d/networking start
and see the messages again.

Or you might look in your syslogs, like so:

enjae[westk]:/home/westk> sudo cat /var/log/syslog | grep pump
<returned nothing on my box, so I moved to the older syslogs with the next command>

enjae[westk]:/home/westk> sudo zcat /var/log/syslog.1.gz | grep pump
Dec 18 23:56:49 enjae pumpd[215]: disabling interface eth0
Dec 18 23:56:49 enjae pumpd[215]: terminating at root's request
Dec 18 23:56:51 enjae pumpd[7743]: starting at (uptime 4 days, 9:44:54) Thu Dec 18 23:56:51 2003 Dec 18 23:56:51 enjae pumpd[7743]: PUMP: sending discover
Dec 18 23:56:52 enjae pumpd[7743]: got dhcp offer
Dec 18 23:56:52 enjae pumpd[7743]: PUMP: sending second discover
Dec 18 23:56:52 enjae pumpd[7743]: PUMP: got an offer
Dec 18 23:56:52 enjae pumpd[7743]: PUMP: got lease

I don't know what Knoppix is, but please let me know.

It's a free live-CD Debian distrubution. Basically, you download the .iso from www.knoppix.net, burn it to CD, pop in the CD and boot off the CD, and you have an amazingly funtional Debian distribution running off the CD. It leaves your hardware alone (except for perhaps writing to a swap file/partition), so that when you shut it down, your box is back to the way it was as if nothing had ever happened. It's a great tool for testing, system recovery, coolness factor, etc. There are other similar live CDs also, but Knoppix was the first to really catch everyone's attention.

I frankly don't see how it could be hardware or cabling, though, when the same computer, when running on a different OS, is having none of these problems.
Ah; either I didn't know, or I had forgotten, that this same machine works with another OS. Yes, you're probably right then; it's probably not a hardware/cabling issue.

So, post the complete contents of /etc/network/interfaces.
Also post the output of "ifconfig".
Also post the nic-related output of "lspci".
And perhaps post the output of "lsmod".

--
Kent