Re: how to create an encrypted loop device?

 On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 09:22:04AM +0100, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Toshiro (<toshiro@internet.com.uy>) wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to create an encrypted loop device, but when I try to
> > execute
> > 'losetup -e blowfish  ~/encripted_file' I get the following error
> > (after typing the password):
> > ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: invalid argument
> >
> > Anybody knows why this happens?
> >
> > Toshiro.
> >
> > PS: I'm running Debian unstable with all the latest packages, and I
> > have both 'loop.o' and 'blowfish.o' loaded.
>
> You also need the cryptoloop module and as far as I know tell losetup
> which device to use:
>
> losetup -e blowfish /dev/loop0 ~/encrypted_file
>
> After telling losetup the keysize and password, you can create a
> filesystem on /dev/loop0 and mount it. Later, you can mount it directly
> without using losetup:
>
> mount ~/encrypted_file /some/dir -o encryption=blowfish,loop
>
> best regards
>         Andreas Janssen
Hi Andreas,
I did a search and found that there is a debian package for cryptoloop.
Do you have to compile a kernel for this? If so, is there a prebuilt
module for this? If not, is it for legal or other issues?
Also, why have the blowfish and other crypto modules IN the precompiled kernel and
the required CRYPTOLOOP modules output the main kernel deb?
-Kev