Re: dial-up to ethernet

mmissett wrote:

Thanks again to everybody for their answers.

My /etc/network/interfaces file is:

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.1.0
	broadcast 192.168.1.255
#	gateway 192.168.1.2

There is no following line like,

# iface eth0 inet dhcp

for me to uncomment, but I don't see any reason why I couldn't just write one, yes?

Yes, just write the line, and comment out the lines in the static stanza.

If I put that line in and comment out the others, as suggested, does the kernel rewrite the file with the info it acquires during bootup; is that the way it works?

No, the file itself is static. What happens though is that when networking is started, it reads this file and sees that it needs to get a dynamic address or use the static address. Then the appropriate under-the-hood processes take place.

--
Kent