Re: Right ftp server

Kevin Mark <kmark+debian-user@pipeline.com> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 02:33:51AM -0800, Gruessle wrote:
>>
>> Usually I chouse to make my own mind up, but man there is so match to
>> read on all this if I don't get help I will be never done.
>> Also usually I like to get the best, so I was thinking proftp at first.
>>
>> But I need something basic easy to config., something I don't have to
>> read two books on before I can get going.
>> Don't need anonymous
>> I like X config stuff if there is something
>>
>> Which is the right ftp server for me?
> Hi Gruessle,
> I think you mean ftp CLIENT. it is not advisable to setup an ftp server
> on a linux machine in most cases. The main reason is the ftp is an
> unencryped protocol -- everyone can read your password and any data you
> send. ssh and sftp are used in its place.

This is not really important in all applications. There are many
applications where you want people to download files easily and
anonymous ftp is pretty good.

Also you can use pam to tell the ftp server not to use system
passwords but look up passwords in a seperate file or in a mysql
database, etc.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>