Re: Pinning question

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 09:47:21AM -0500, Rich B wrote:
> One of my servers is running stable, but I've added Unstable to my
> /etc/apt/sources file, and in /etc/apt/preferences I put:
>
>   Package: *
>   Pin: release stable
>   Pin-priority: 900
>
>   Package: *
>   Pin: release testing
>   Pin-priority: 500
>
>   Package: *
>   Pin: release unstable
>   Pin-priority: 100
>
> Now, when I do an apt-get dist-upgrade I'm told:
>
>   The following NEW packages will be installed:
>     gcc-3.3-base initscripts
>
> What did I do wrong? I thought my Pin-prioritys would prevent anything
> from upgrading to Sid unless I explicitly asked for it.
>
> Rich B.

Check out the man page for apt_preferences.  It says (P is the pin priority)
0 < P <=100
    causes  a  version to be installed only if there is no installed
    version of the package

Neither gcc-3.3 nor initscripts are in stable, so presumably you don't
have an installed version.  So apt feels free to grab the unstable
ones.  (I'm not sure why your dist-upgrade is trying to get them, but
you didn't provide all the details.  Unstable gcc will pull in
gcc-3.3, but presumably the preferences above will not pull in
unstable gcc if you have gcc installed.)