Re: Kernel options - how to determine which are needed?

On Thu, 2003-12-04 at 20:17, Steve Lamb wrote:
>      I've got a machine that I do not have physical access to but would like
> to recompile the kernel for.  As you can expect I would need to make
> absolutely sure that the kernel configuration I come up with is right the
> first time.  Currently it is running the default kernel from woody
> (2.2.20-idepci).  Is there any way that I can determine which options are
> being used by that kernel at present?  I'm not too concerned about sound and
> video, naturally, but networking is an absolute must.  Unfortunately the
> support for the company that is hosting the machine is less than stellar and
> they weren't very helpful in telling me the specifications of what the machine
> has.  :/

The file /boot/config-2.2.20-idepci holds the configuration of your
current kernel (assuming its version is 2.2.20-idepci). Copy this file
to /usr/src/linux-<whatever>/.config and run 'make oldconfig'. Saying no
to all questions will give you a new kernel with exactly the old
configuration.

-alf