Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

* csj (csj@zapo.net) [031204 08:37]:
> On 3. December 2003 at 5:52PM -0800,
> Vineet Kumar <vineet@doorstop.net> wrote:
>
> > * Monique Y. Herman (spam@bounceswoosh.org) [031203 16:59]:
> > > I have been wondering about the password-sniffing thing, too.
> > > If you send a password using ssh, isn't it encrypted?
> > >
> > > I suppose some debian developer's kid sister could have
> > > installed a keystroke logger on the dev machine ... um ...
> >
> > Almost there -- minus the assumption that one needs physical
> > access to a machine to install a keystroke logger.  At the risk
> > of perpetuating the telephone game, I recall reading that the
> > developer's machine had been rooted.  I didn't hear how, but I
> > don't really see how it matters.  I picture an always-on
> > machine in someone's home on a DSL or cable line.
>
> Now I'm curious: is it possible to get rooted while on dialup?

Absolutely.  What about it would make it impossible?

The only reason I mentioned an always-on connection is that it's more
likely, since attackers have more opportunity.  Also, with dynamic
address on a dial-up, the attacker will have a more difficult time
(though certainly not impossible) doing anything useful (abuseful?) with
your box.

good times,
Vineet
--