Re: Logging from Linksys BEFSX41 Router to Debian Server

BruceG wrote:

Hey all,

   I am using a Linksys BEFSX41 router, and want to start logging inbound
and outbound access. I can set which IP address I want it to log to, and
wanted to know how to set things up on a Debian server to accept logging
from other devices.

   I am running Debian Testing and will be on 2.4.23 AS SOON as it is
available as a package. In the mean time, I need to be able to log all
traffic going in and out of my router - and would prefer to log it to the
Debian PC.

   Any hints, tips, or pointers to a how-to?

Only one...

I'm involved in a VoIP project and we continually have to tell people to turn logging OFF in their Linksys devices. They just don't have the horsepower to log and route at the same time and you end up with hideous packet loss on UDP packets.

If you play network games that use UDP or do VoIP stuff, I'd avoid using the on-board logging in the Linksys devices like the plague.

Nate, nate@natetech.com