Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

  Hmmm.  A friend of mine works at a company with over 500 machines in the
field.  Many of them are customer facing.  There are more than 1
configuration on the servers.  He has to compile each config and run it
through a dev/test and a full regression before he can update any
production machines int he field.  Has he started the upgrade?  yes, 2
of the kernels are in test now, 1 is in regression already.  It's likely
to be a month or so before all the kernels are ready, upgraded and
reboot time scheduled for maintenance windows.  And yes he's very
bothered by this.

  We talked about it and agree that it's much preferable that those who
might want to screw with his machines might have 1 less attack
available.  What would telling the world accomplish?  Would that make
the world a safer place?  Would holding the information back keep one or
more pissants at bay a while longer?

Your argument sounds like my 6yr old doing a "I want it now, I don't
care what your reasons are!!!!" soon followed by a temper tantrum.

Thus spake Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca):