Spam loads (was Re: How to post to linux.debian.user)

on Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 10:02:20PM -0600, Scott C. Linnenbringer (sl@panix.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003, at 17:53 -0700, Dr. MacQuigg wrote:

> > P.S.  The requirement to use a real email address in this public
> > mailing list is a big problem.

Not strictly required, but encouraged.

> I, myself, use virus filters for procmail which work excellently. :)

For those of us dealing with Swen to the tune of 300-600 MiB daily of
mail over dialup, the situation's rather less friendly.  I've got very
effective filters.  And there are now some specialized tools for dealing
with Swen.  However, these will be of limited use the _next_ time a
mass-mailing, heavy-payload worm propogates.  Particularly if it uses a
wider range of subject/from headers, and/or has differently-sized
payloads.  Swen was pretty easy to spot at 144 KiB + a fixed set of
addresses and subject tokens.

While more ISPs are offering mail filtering, most have pretty broken
tools.  SMTP-time rejection + teergrubing is highly preferred.
Newcomers to the 'Net have some very serious issues to deal with.

Peace.

    Of the top 24 industrialized nations, only Turkey has the government
    covering a smaller percentage of medical costs than the USA.
    - Laurie Garret, _Betrayal of Trust_