Re: ATAPI CD-writer

On Saturday 12 July 2003 22:12, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> cr wrote:
> > On Friday 11 July 2003 04:11, Pigeon wrote:
> >> Try apt-cache search kernel-image
> >>
> >> Most of the kernel-image packages are on CD 5 IIRC, so you need the
> >> full set of CDs - I think if you've only got the first CD all you've
> >> got is a source package and enough tools to build it.
> >
> > The first CD actually gives a choice when starting the install, of
> > idepci, compact, vanilla or bf24, IIRC.   But they don't seem to be in
> > deb package form.
>
> Yes, they are in deb package form. Most of them are on the 5th CD (or
> available via ftp).

Oh, sorry if I wasn't clear - I was referring just to the first CD - which
does give a choice of kernels to install but doesn't seem to include the
deb's   (and it doesn't need the 5th cd for kernel install because I haven't
got it).

> On my system, apt-cache search idepci says:
>
> [pcmcia and header packages]
> kernel-image-2.2.20-idepci - Linux kernel binary image.
>
> Same for bf2.4 (kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4, the 2.4 kernel offered during
> installation)
>
> Next, I used apt-cache policy:
>
> kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4:
>   Installed: 2.4.18-5woody1
>   Candidate: 2.4.18-5woody1
>   Version Table:
>  *** 2.4.18-5woody1 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>      2.4.18-5 0
>         500 cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r1 _Woody_ - Official i386
> Binary-5 (20021218)] stable/main Packages
>         500 ftp://ftp.debian.org woody/main Packages
>
> You find the image files in the pool/main/k directory on the 5th CD. But a
> word of warning: The kernel image files on the CDs (both r0 and r1) have
> *security issues* that have been corrected in the newer packages on the
> Debian servers. See
> http://www.debian.org/security/2003/dsa-311 for more information.

I'll check it out.

> Now back to your problem:
> > Well now, lsmod, modprobe and insmod tell me that  ide-scsi and  sg  are
> > present, but  sr_mod isn't:
> >
> > lsmod
> > Module                  Size  Used by
> > sg                     14928   0  (unused)
> > ide-scsi                7060   0
>
> [more modules]
>
> > # insmod sr_mod
> > insmod: sr_mod: no module by that name found
>
> It is possible that the kernel does not include the driver (the idepci
> kernel definitely doesn't), but the driver could also be built into the
> kernel, which is more likely. Maybe it is a bootloader configuration
> problem (see below)

Thanks for the hint!
It *was* a bootloader configuration problem - caused by my mistake, too.
As a result of fiddling around trying to make Grub work, I had two menu.lst
files, one in /boot/grub and one in /boot/boot/grub (which it seems is the
one Grub reads).    And I'd added 'hdb=ide-scsi' to the *wrong* one.   I've
since removed the file it so it doesn't mislead me again.
This works:

kernel          /vmlinuz-2.2.20 root=/dev/hda5 hdb=ide-scsi ro

Fixing that solved the problem.   How stupid of me!

> > And it isn't in any subdirectory of /lib/modules/2.2.20  either
> >
> > cdrecord -scanbus
> > Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
> > cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> >
> > And my Grub  /boot/grub/menu.lst file says
> > title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.2.20
> > root            (hd0,0)
> > kernel          /vmlinuz-2.2.20 root=/dev/hda5 hdb=ide-scsi ro
> > savedefault
>
> I searched google for "grub ide-scsi", and the third result was this one:
> http://www.pcf.sinica.edu.tw/123/ide-scsi.html
>
> It shows you a example configuration for grub with ide-scsi and has two
> lines that say:
> options ide-cd ignore=hdd
> pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
> Maybe you should try that (the first line seems more important to me, if
> you load ide-scsi via /etc/modules, the second one doesn't matter because
> its purpose is to load ide-scsi automatically when sg is loaded)
>
> > I suppose this means I need sr_mod?   I'm a little surprised the
> > 'vanilla'
> > kernel doesn't have it already, since it has sg and ide-scsi.    But I
> > can't find sr_mod anywhere.
>
> I didn't try the kernel, I think the driver is built into the kernel. Look
> into the config file /boot/config-2.2.20. The following options should be
> set to "m" or "y":
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDESCSI
> CONFIG_SCSI
> CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR
> CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG

I just looked, results are  y,m,y,y,m  (in that order)

> I use kernel-image-2.4.28-bf2.4, and the sr_mod driver also is built into
> the kernel and not built as a module. Yet ide-scsi works.

Well, X-cd-roast (and hence presumably cdrecord and ide-scsi) is now
*working* with the bootloader line I quoted above.    (I used insmod to
install the modules but I'll put 'em in /etc/modules)

lsmod shows  ide-scsi  and  sg,  but not sr_mod so it looks as if that was a
red herring.

To sum up briefly, what works is:

Woody 'vanilla' kernel 2.2.20   (but not 'idepci')

/etc/fstab line:
/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto          0       0

/boot/boot/grub/menu.lst   line:
kernel          /vmlinuz-2.2.20  root=/dev/hda5  hdb=ide-scsi  ro

/dev/cdrom symlinked to /dev/scd0:
/dev/cdrom -> scd0

sg and ide-scsi  installed with insmod

... and that seems to be it.

> > I assume I *could* download and install a 2.4.16 or 2.4.18 kernel, but
> > would
> > this cause conflicts with all the stuff I already have installed?    I'd
> > rather just download the sr_mod module from somewhere (if I could find
> > it!) and install it with insmod than download a 8MB kernel image
> > file.....
>
> No, it would not be a problem. The debian kernel images all have different
> names and their own module directory, so no conflicts will arise. You
> only have to reconfigure you bootloader.
>
> best regards
>         Andreas Janssen

Thanks for that, I think that knowledge will prove useful later.   For now,
your help just saved me an 8MB download which I didn't need to do.    Many
thanks!!

Chris