Re: Problem with X in unstable, screen resolution isn't set to the configured values

Hello Mariano!

Mariano Kamp wrote:
>   since a couple of weeks I have the above described problem. My
>   monitor shows
> that I run with 1024x768. The funny thing is that this resolution is
> nowhere to be found in my XF86Config-4 (see attached file).

Your "Monitor" Section in the XF86Config-4 lists rather low values for
HorizSync and VertRefresh. Are you sure these are correct for your
monitor? What does the monitor handbook say?

If these settings are in fact valid, then your monitor is simply unable
to display at higher resolutions.
As a security measure X won't run at a resolution the monitor doesn't
seem to be able to handle, and thus selects a lower mode. Grep in your
XFree.log for "mode" and you will see...

>   The only thing I found in the log (see attached file), which *I*
>   consider
> funny is that:
>     (WW) NVIDIA(0): Failed to verify AGP usage

Hm, I don't know about that...

> (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1024x768"

This is the mode X selects as being closest to your original choice of
1280x1024 and of which your monitor is still capable.

> (...)
>   Any ideas? Any more information I can provide?

Hm, your type of monitor, perhaps?

BTW, you have two mice configured, you can safely delete the section for
"Generic Mouse" and delete the reference in the Section "Server
Layout".

HTH,
Flo