fetchmail and port forwarding

I'm in the process of setting up port forwarding to bypass my spam-crazy
ISP. I've got everything working, but I'd like to try putting the port
forwarding information into .fetchmailrc.

Right now I run from the command line:
	ssh my.mail.host -L 8025:localhost:25
works great. Except I now have a terminal window that I can't close.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Secure-POP+SSH-2.html
suggests forking ssh into the background with the following:
	ssh -C -f popserver -L 11110:popserver:110 sleep 5
does this mean that I'm doing port forwarding for 5 seconds?

The next page of the tutorial suggests that I can hook up fetchmail to do
the port forwarding by using "preconnect":
	http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Secure-POP+SSH-3.html
        preconnect "ssh -C -f msingh@popserver -L 11110:popserver:110 sleep 5"
		password foobar;

This doesn't seem to work for me though.

I checked through the fetchmail reference pages, but it doesn't have an
example of what I'm trying to do.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/fetchmail/fetchmail-man.html

I'd like to be able to have fetchmail set up my OUTGOING SMTP port
forwarding.

Here are my config files:
poll mailbox41.utcc.utoronto.ca
       user 'ej.hogbin' there with password '*****' is 'ej.hogbin' fetchall
preconnect "ssh -f home.samurai.com -L 8025:localhost:25 sleep 1000"
password *****;

poll mailbox.samurai.com
      user 'emmajane' there with password '******' is 'emmajane' fetchall

poll mercury.senecac.on.ca
       user 'emmajane.hogbin' there with password '******' is 'emmajane.hogbin' fetchall

poll mailbox.samurai.com
    user 'veela1' there with password '*******' is 'emmajane' fetchmail

And the output:
emmajane@debian:~$ fetchmail
emmajane@home.samurai.com's password:
fetchmail: Authorization failure on ej.hogbin@mailbox41.utcc.utoronto.ca
fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
fetchmail: No mail for emmajane at mailbox.samurai.com
fetchmail: No mail for emmajane.hogbin at mercury.senecac.on.ca
fetchmail: No mail for veela1 at mailbox.samurai.com

But I don't want to have to enter my password....

Thoughts on how to get this to work would be much appreciated. :)

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]