Re: ATAPI CD-writer

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, cr wrote:

> I've read the HOWTOs but I tend to get bogged down and confused in all the
> details.   And in the past I've found, when I've managed to get X-cd-roast
> working (under previous Redhat installations), I've lost the ability to mount
> the cd-rom in the usual way.   But anyway, I know the hardware all works   :)
>
> I'm running Debian 3.0, idepci kernel, my cd-writer is a (Goldstar) LG8080
> IDE/ATAPI which seems to be pretty much plain-vanilla  (i.e. it needs no
> special drivers), on /hdb.
>
> >From reading the HOWTOs, I need to install ide-scsi.   However, if done
> wrongly, this will interfere with ordinary mounting of the drive as an ide
> device  (I think).    I would like to be able to do both - use cdrecord (via
> X-cd-roast and similar front-ends) _and_ mount CDroms in the usual way.
>
> I *think* that if the kernel has scsi support compiled into it, then I
> could just add   hdb=ide-scsi  to my Grub   menu.lst file.   However,
> cdrecord -scanbus seems to indicate scsi support isn't there:

I think it should be hdb=scsi, at least that's how my system is setup.

> alti:/# cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> root.

Try:

modprobe sg
modprobe sr_mod
modprobe ide-scsi   # Only needed if compiled as module

> So I guess I need to load ide-scsi as a separate module.   Can this be done
> at any time using insmod or modprobe?   And, if ide-scsi then stops me
> mounting my cd-writer as a regular ide device,  can I remove ide-scsi with
> rmmod and will it then give me ide back?

I prefer to have it compiled into the kernel as I seem
to have more control over it, I can tell it to emulate
my cd-writer as scsi but keep my dvd as ide.  When done
as a module, both drives become scsi.  I have not seen
any problem using ide-scsi for my cdrom for mounting
except that I had to change my symlink for /dev/cdrom
to point to scd0 instead of hdb.

> Any hints or guidance on which way to go would be appreciated.
>
> cr

- --
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: B3B9 D669 69C9 09EC 1BCD  835A FAF3 7A46 E4A3 280C