Re: Very big files with tar

On Friday 04 July 2003 12:50, Raffaele Sandrini wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'd like to do a backup to another partition using tar. Here are
> about 9GB data to be saved. After a while tar complaints about a to
> big output file (i think max size is around 2GB). Is there a way to
> split the output in more files?

tar cf - /path/to/data | split -b 1024m - outfile

This will create 1GB big files called outfileaa, outfileab, outfileac,
etc.

To restore, you will have to do the following:
cat outfile* | tar xf -

Anyway, this is most likely not the way you want to make backups. Search
around a bit in the archives, backup strategies are discussed fairly
often. Maybe Karsten M. Self drops in and provides you a link to his
backup strategy page...

joerg

--
Gib GATES keine Chance!