suggestions for a good MTA?

I need some suggestions on a good MTA for a workstation.  Here's what
I'd like for it to be able to handle.

1. Immediate delivery of local mail (messages from daemons, etc)... in
other words I'd like to avoid shipping it off to my ISP, since I'm just
going to turn around and re-fetch it.  No address rewriting should
occur in this case, because that makes it harder to see "at a glance"
that it was local.

2. Forward outgoing mail to a smarthost, after rewriting the addresses
as appropriate.

The hard part seems to be selective rewriting.  Everything I've looked
at seems to either want to forward everything (nullmailer), or rewrite
no matter what (exim, etc.).  Is there anything which can handle this?