Re: Activating vim color?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 10:45:50AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
| On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 08:53:57 -0400
| "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> wrote:

| > Since gvim has more colors available to it, the tags and comments in
| > XML become different shades of blue (which really is much nicer) and
| > quoted text in emails is a different color based on the depth of the
| > quoting (which is neat too).
|
|     Which is all fine and good.  However, what I am seeing is a complete
| difference between GUI and terminal colors on a base install.  Additional
| colors aren't that big of a problem.

Ok, at least you aren't complaining about that feature :-).

|     For example I load some sample Python code into vim and kgim (gvim didn't
| start for some reason).  Here's the differences:

Was gvim not installed (the 'vim' package doesn't include the GUI) or
did it give an error?

|               vim             kvim
| comments:     cyan            dark grey
| import:       dark blue       light green
| keywords:     yellow          yellow (shocker!)
| quoted:       purple          cyan
| normal:       white           white

Here's what I get :
               vim             gvim
 comments:     cyan            blue (softer than cyan)
 import:       blue            purple-ish (softer than magenta)
 keywords:     yellow          yellow
 quoted:       magenta         pink-ish
 normal:       white           white

I installed kvim to see what it would do.  It just didn't work
correctly (the font was messed up and didn't display half of the time)
but still had the same colors as gvim.

I now have screen shots posted at http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/post/
so you can what I see.  The only color-related configuration I've done
is this :

    highlight Normal guibg=black guifg=grey90
    set background=dark
    syntax on

HTH,
-D

--
One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.

http://dman13.dyndns.org/~dman/