Re: changing the root password

on Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:35:31PM -0300, Gabriel Menini (arlequin@internet.com.uy) wrote:
> Hello, there.
>
> Something strange is happening when I try to change the system's root
> password.
> I tried with both commands, chpasswd and passwd without success.
>
> The system is keeping something like a "history of passwords"...
> I can su to root using the current password, but I also can su to root
> using the old password!!!
>
> What is wrong? What am I missing?

Check /etc/passwd.

How many entries for 'root' are there?  Are there multiple entries for
UID 0?  That would be a '0' in the third ':' delimited field.

Is your root partition mounted readonly?

Is there a value in the second field of either /etc/passwd or
/etc/shadow (if you're using shadow passwords, and you should be).

Peace.

   LNX-BBC:  Bootable GNU/Linux -- Don't leave /home without it.
     http://www.lnx-bbc.org/