Re: what's fstype 83? "Linux"?

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 03:37:50AM -0600, will trillich wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 10:17:03AM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> >
> > > I'd try what another poster suggested, try the debian slink rescue disks.
> > > or just format it and forget about it, if you haven't needed the data
> > > on that disk for 2 years you probably won't miss anything :)
> >
> > IMO, the OP's problem is the screwy geometry.  Note that the only
> > partition that could be mounted was the one which ended on a proper
> > boundary.
>
> tell me some more about this, if you don't mind.
>
> <reveal hardwareignorance=tautologicallyobvious>
> my bios auto-detect persistently came up with a value that was
> just ONE away from what was labelled on the drive itself; maybe
> that's what screwed me up...
> </reveal>

I don't have your original post, but it said something about "partition
table says CHS is foo, but I thought it should be bar, using foo", and
then there are '+' characters next to the start and/or end of many
partitions, which means (IIRC) that they don't end on a partition
boundary.  In my expereince this causes all kinds of problems with
Intel hardware.

Perhaps you need to choose LBA in your BIOS setup?  IIRC the part
table thought it has 128 heads which is screaming LBA to me.
Otherwise, sometimes you can use the advanced menu of fdisk to
convince linux that the CHS for a drive really is <whatever> (use the
values that the part table reports).

Note that you could only mount the partition which started and ended
on what linux currently thinks are cylinder boundaries.  When you try
to mount the other partitions linux is loading data from the wrong
part of the drive (starting in the wrong position, that is).

This whole CHS thing is why I use SCSI drives whenever I can.

  Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small
  minds discuss people.
          -- Laurence J. Peter