Re: module installation for Intel on-board NIC

Hi,

* Kenn Murrah <kenn4debian@thebytebusiness.com> [030129 09:45]:
> I 'm trying to install Debian woody
> on a Dell PowerEdge... all looks good except the NIC ... instructions seem
> to be for Red
> Hat 7.x only, about which it says, "There is native driver support for the
> integrated Intel 10/100/1000 NIC. To enable Linux support for the NIC,
> install the e1000.o module from (location given)" ....

   I'm not familiar with the specifics here, but I'll describe what
usually works for me when trying to find and install a driver:

1. Use lspci (pciutils package) to find out exactly what your nic is.

% lspci

then look for the line that says "Ethernet Controller:"

2. Google for: "linux driver <what ever lspci said>"

This should tell you exactly what driver to use

3. Install the module for the driver suggested by googling.

  a. If your kernel was compiled with this driver as a module then just
     % modpobe <drivername>
     (exclude the .o extension)

  b. If your kernel does not have this driver as a module: compile your
     own, or install one that does.
     Have a look at kpkg for the first option and
     "apt-get install kernel-image-*" for the 2nd option.

HTH,

Nick.

--
 Nick Hastings                _   \_\  Phone: +81 298 64 5200, ext 2429
 Belle Group,  KEK,         /_/	((((_)O:          Fax:  +81 298 64 5340