Re: HDD general (was: RE: HDD clicking)

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:49:29PM -0500, Narins, Josh wrote:
> 	How do I calculate the difference in "cost to hard drive wear
> and tear from a single spin-up" to the cost of letting it run for a
> length of time?

If it's a desktop box, don't worry about letting them spin down at
all, your speakers probably draw more power than your hard drive.  If
you *really* want to save power, look at the dpms options in xset to
turn your monitor off after a couple minutes.

> 	If that didn't make sense, I'll say I set the spindown time on
> my laptop's HD to 25 seconds.  Generally I'll have one disk spin for
> each app that I load the first time, and one or two other spins for
> an "ls" or such in a new directory.
> 	Would I just be better off having it spin a lot when I am
> plugged in?

Let it spin when you're plugged in, since it's not like you're burning
battery right then.

--
 .''`.     Baloo <baloo@ursine.dyndns.org>
: :'  :    proud Debian admin and user