Re: backport of ICH4 IDE support

Gregory Seidman said:
> It is my understanding that the current 2.5 kernel has support for various
> DMA modes on the Intel ICH4 chipset. I don't really want to be running an
> experimental kernel, however, so I'd like to find a backport patch for a
> 2.4-series kernel. I've spent a fair amount of time with Google, but I
> still haven't found anything.
>
> Does anyone know if such a patch has been prepared by anyone, or where it
> might be found? Is there an apt-gettable package, by any chance?

Given the horrible state IDE is in 2.5 currently I would be very
hesitant to use such a patch if it were to exist. Recently I read I think
alan cox commenting again on how bad the IDE is in 2.5.x still, unusable
for a lotta folk still.

Save some pain and pickup a PCI ide controller, I reccomend Promise ATA/100,
or ATA/66, never tried their ATA/133 myself but it probably works fine
too.

nate