Re: instructions for setting up sound?

This one time, at band camp, Daniel Barclay said:

> Can anyone point me to instructions for setting up audio that
> addresses kernel messages such as:
>
>     modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-0

This is because the module handling system is unable to figure out which
module to use for that 'service', in this cse, the first sound card.

The Debian Way of fiing this is to create a file in the directory
/etc/modutils, and edit it so that it includes the necessary lines for
the piece of hardware being configured.  In this case, it's the one
line:

alias sound-service-0-0 "Name_Of_Sound_Card_Module" (e.g., emu10k1,. .)

Then run update-modules; this will regenerate modules.conf for you, and
then hopefully the module loader will be able to figure things out for
you.  You'll probably also see lines about it looking for sound-slot-0-0
and others.  alias them to the same module, and in the same file, when
you find out what's failing.

HTH,
|  Stephen Gran                  | Real programmers don't bring brown-bag  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | lunches.  If the vending machine        |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | doesn't sell it, they don't eat it.     |
|  			         | Vending machines don't sell quiche.     |