alsa and saving mixer settings

I've had alsa installed without problems on a different computer, and
went to install it on this one due to some advice I'd read regarding my
soundcard. It works fine, but for some reason my mixer settings aren't
staying between boots.

I've checked the /etc/init.d/alsa script, and it calls alsactl to store
and restore mixer settings, and, since it doesn't specify a location, it
should store them at /etc/asound.state -- which exists and is populated.

Unfortunately, I find that the first time I want to play anything, I
have to open a mixer (I use gmix), which then sets the levels, before I
can hear anything.

Anybody else experience this or know of a way around it?

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
matthew@weierophinney.net