Re: moving Woody /usr partition

On Monday 27 January 2003 19:03, john gennard wrote:
> If possible I'd like to avoid reinstalling Woody onto the
> new drive (and it's no use waiting for it to crash as it
> never does). I can find a 3gig primary partition on hda
> which I could use in whole or part to take /usr. But how
> to transfer it there? I have partition magic and parted
> and have been looking at these, but am reluctant to 'have
> a go' - there seem a number of imponderables.

You can just create a filesystem on that partition anc copy that stuff there.
Just mout it (let's say at /mnt/temp) and then

cp -a /usr/* /mnt/temp

-a tells cp to preserve links, permissions, timestamps etc.

Afterwards you go to single-user mode, umount /usr, mount the correct device
and update your fstab. That's about all there is.

--
Got Backup?