Problem with AbiWord in Woody

I'm trying to make AbiWord work on my system. I am not attempting anything that is unusual, just install from the Debian web site using dselect. After I turn off the warning message about fonts, according to instruction, I see a warning message
"Could not load the dictionary for the en-US language"
I've looked for dictionary files in the Debian files on my CD set of Woody and found none. I've gone to the abisource site and found (and downloaded) a dictionary for abiword 1.04, but this does not fix the problem. (Woody uses abiword 1.02) I've checked spell checking and it is not working, so this is more than a cosmetic problem.

Is the version difference important? Where can I find a en-US dictionary that matches Woody?
Other suggestions? Please help.

Paul