mozilla plugins and download manager

Having downloaded a bunch of plugins for mozilla 1.2.1
from marillat.free.fr (stable) the flashplayer and
acrobat plugins are happily recognised. I also
downloaded openquicktime ran ./configure, make, make
install then created symlinks for the .so files from
/usr/lib/.mozilla/plugins (where all the other .so
files appear to be) to the where make install had put
them, but mozilla doesn't pick them up. Why?
I also tried to download realplayer from
marillat.free.fr, fetched the rpm as required but the
setup does not appear complete - looks like I have to
do some extra setup when I try and run the program but
it 'froze' my system - not quite sure what was going
on here, f3 etc., crtl+alt+del and more wouldn't do a
thing and I had to resort to turning the machine off
(ouch!). Anyone else had problems with this?
The other thing I've been trying to do is to persuade
mozilla to use prozilla as its download manager but
can't any documentation on how to play around with the
download manager setup. Help appreciated.
Thanks..
Simon.

=====