Re: Some myths regarding apt pinning

On Sun, 2003-01-26 at 02:26, Osamu Aoki wrote:

[***SNIP!!!***]

> What Debian is best for me?
>
>  Debian is available in 3 major flavors - stable, testing, and unstable -
>  for practically all CPU architectures. Here is a guideline for the choice.
>
>  +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>  |               |               | Recommended |                          |
>  | User type     | Criteria      | Debian      | Note                     |
>  |               |               | Flavor      |                          |
>  |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
>  |               | First time    |             | You have much to learn   |
>  |               | using Debian  | stable +    | before playing with the  |
>  | Total Newbie  | with no       | security    | testing flavor. Buy a CD |
>  |               | previous      | fixes       | set of the stable        |
>  |               | GNU/Linux     |             | version.                 |
>  |               | experience.   |             |                          |
>  |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
>  |               |               |             | Learn how to use         |
>  |               | First time    |             | Debian-specific things   |
>  |               | using Debian  | stable +    | first with a small       |
>  | Debian Newbie | with good     | security    | install to become a      |
>  |               | previous      | fixes       | Power User. Please do    |
>  |               | GNU/Linux     |             | not think about          |
>  |               | experience.   |             | downloading big          |
>  |               |               |             | ISO-images.              |
>  |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
>  |               |               |             | Watch the release cycle  |
>  |               | Experienced   |             | and use APT pinning.     |
>  |               | Debian user   | testing     | Prepare to get your      |
>  |               | who wants to  | (unstable,  | hands dirty with package |
>  | Power User    | run latest    | stable,     | bugs. Read at least      |
>  |               | version of    | security    | "debian-devel-announce   |
>  |               | GNU/Linux     | fixes)      | at lists.debian.org".    |
>  |               | desktop.      |             | Most people belong here  |
>  |               |               |             | :-)                      |
>  |---------------+---------------+-------------+--------------------------|
>  |               | Debian user   |             |                          |
>  |               | who needs to  | stable +    | If you need the latest   |
>  |               | have a        | security    | packages, backport them  |
>  | Professional  | rock-solid    | fixes (may  | from the source,         |
>  | User          | Debian server | use testing | unstable, or testing by  |
> [...]

When commenting on "Unstable" aka Sid, I'd compare it to running a
common commercial microcomputer operating system and related commercial
user applications, and on that evaluation, Debian still comes out far,
far ahead, as many commercial packages and even o/s releases and service
packs have shipped broken or with significant flaws. It is just that
with Debian, things actually get fixed if they break ;)

All that said, I'd suggest that things like production servers have no
business running stuff outside of stable except for things that might be
absolutely necessary, such as needing functionality of a more recent
release of a key system. However, from a workstation perspective, it is
a function jointly of skills brought in and focus on the system - if you
are running the workstation in order to push and tweak it and know what
is likely going on with most tasks of the machine, you probably look
upon "Stable" as legacy software ;) If you are using a Linux workstation
as a graphics or a/v editing machine, or typesetting engine, however,
Stable is more likely appropriate for predictable performance. That's
just what is said above :)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org