Re: "debian rookie" trying to get his bearings...

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 20:29, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Kent West wrote:
> > Jeff Hahn wrote:
> >
> > >I'm setting up a "test" debian server (contemplating a move of several
> > >redhat boxes)
[snip]
> Every Redhat user asks about chkconfig.  Having used Redhat myself I
> always needed to edit the init.d script, set the run level, save, run
> chkconfig to create the symlinks, then invoke the script when
> installing a new package.  But on Debian none of that is needed.  Not
> needing to run chkconfig has left many people stymied.  How do you
> install the symlinks?  You don't need to because by default they are
> installed automatically.

Note, though, a mid-sized gotcha:  all (well, almost all) the symlinks
in /etc/rc2.d will be S20<blah>.  This is because the package maintainer
doesn't know where in the boot sequence that *you* want the app to run.

Thus, you'll have to mv S20foo to whatever number you want...

[snip]

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |