Re: Oh no, what a really heavy bummer

On Sat, 2003-01-25 at 12:14, Pigeon wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 04:43:44PM +1100, Rob Weir wrote:
> > > >
> > > [snip]

> > > Here's how I do it:
> > > # apt-get source gqview=1.0.2-1
> > > # export CC=gcc-3.2 -Wall -O2 -mcpu=pentiumpro
>
> Shouldn't that be -march=pentimpro, unless you want to generate
> 386-compatible code?

Oh, man!  Thanks for pointing that out...

> > That's kinda nasty.  I think CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS are better places to
> > put this sort of thing.
>
> That's what I generally do, but some non-Debian stuff sometimes has
> nasty makefiles that don't take account of your CFLAGS, or even your
> CC, which leads to even uglier hacks like
>
> # cd /usr/bin
> # mv gcc-2.95 realgcc-2.95
> # cat > gcc-2.95
> exec /usr/bin/realgcc-2.95 -Wall -O2 -march=i686 ${*}
> ^D
> # chmod a+x gcc-2.95

Blech!

> or something along those lines. Yuk! (Raise both wings high above
> back, whack offending code with one of them)
>
> gcc-2.95 v. 3.2: I've got 2.95 at the moment because that's what I've
> been used to. Before I download big source packages, am I right in
> thinking that 3.2 itself runs slower, but the code it produces runs
> faster? And the difference is quite noticeable?

So they say.  On the few things I've tried it on, I haven't noticed.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "Fear the Penguin!!"                                          |