Re: Mail server and iptables/exim

This one time, at band camp, David P James said:
> Nathan E Norman was roused into action on 2003-01-09 22:22 and wrote:
> >On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 09:48:41PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> >>Then apparently iptables is DROPping connections to that port - fix that
> >>and we'll move from there.
> >
> >Jumping in late, but isn't it also possible that the OP's ISP is
> >blocking port 25 (a common spam-fighting technique) ?
>
> That's possibly it... That would also explain why I can get to the
> server's port 25 from behind the firewall, though I can get to it's port
> 25 on the external interface from behind the firewall as well. I'm
> reading conflicting reports as to whether or not Cogeco here in Kingston
> actually blocks port 25.

Yes, that would be it then - I didn't realize you could get to the
external interface port 25 from behind your firewall.  Your firewalling
rules look fine to me, BTW.  Why not just call or email your ISP?  It's
often easier to find out from them directly, as ISPs frequently offer
different packages, with different firewalling rulesets applied.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Arbitrary systems, pl.n.:  Systems      |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | about which nothing general can be      |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | said, save "nothing  general can be     |