Re: pppoe and dsl on debian

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:34:00AM -0500, David F. Skoll wrote:

> > Jan  9 10:39:56 seal pppoe[12969]: PPP session is 6497
> > Jan  9 10:39:59 seal pppd[12966]: Couldn't set pass-filter in kernel: Invalid argument
>
> Dunno what the previous message means, but it should not be fatal.

yes, some manual somewhere said it wasn't fatal so I'm ignoring
it.

> Try the following:  Make sure your syslog is logging everything to
> /var/log/messages by adding a:
>
> 	*.*		/var/log/messages
>
> line in /etc/syslog.conf
>
> Then enable debugging in pppd by adding the "debug" option and try
> again.  The peer is terminating LCP as soon as the session is established,
> which is very weird.

Thanks... tried it and the authentication is being rejected (!).

Many thanks for your detailed debugging suggestions.
I'm pursuing the matter with the isp.

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 11:46:12AM -0500, James Leigh wrote:

Thanks for the detailed instructions on setting up DSL.

> if your still having trouble bell has a test account that you can
> connect too from any xdsl isp provider.
> it is:
<bell's test account info>
> this account will not allow internet access, but good for testing the
> connection, and ISPs like to know the ip it gives to location you in the
> network.

Tried it, and IT WORKED!  I've sent the failing and succeeding
logs to the isp and asked them to look into it.

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 05:55:37PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> PADT - your ISP told your modem to terminate. Maybe wrong login data.

Yep.

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 12:23:21PM -0500, Raymond Wood wrote:
> One idea I didn't try, but might be worth a try, would be to
> download David's source and then use 'checkinstall' utility to
> install it as a DEB on your system.  Just a thought - let me
> know if this ends up working for you.

I'll keep it in mind if I ever have to install a non-debian
package - thanks!

Progress is being made, great!

Thanks again all.

--