Re: ldap re-creating database

Arrrrgh, I am going crazy here.  Going very basic now and still can't
seem to be able to use ldapadd like the documentation suggests.  Here is
what I have just tried.

1. Stopped slapd:
   /etc/init.d/slapd stop
2. Removed all files in /var/lib/ldap/
   rm /var/lib/ldap/*
3. Created a /etc/ldap/slapd.conf file containing:
---
pidfile         /var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd.args
replogfile      /var/lib/ldap/replog
loglevel        0
database        ldbm
suffix          "dc=mycompany,dc=com"
directory       "/var/lib/ldap"
rootdn          "cn=admin,dc=mycompany,dc=com"
rootpw          {SSHA}jqn1eATMlywgjN1EnGRihUBxzHDKJQMR
---
4. Start slapd:
   /etc/init.d/slapd start
5. Confirm that slapd is working
   ldapsearch -x -b '' -s base '(objectclass=*)' namingContexts
   This replies with:
   dn:
   namingContexts: dc=mycompany,dc=com
6. Created a basic base.ldif file
---
dn: dc=mycompany,dc=com
dc: mycompany
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organization
o: MIT Devin

dn: cn=admin,dc=mycompany,dc=com
cn: admin
objectClass: organizationalRole
---
7. Try to ldapadd the base.ldif file:
   ldapadd -x -W -f base.ldif
   Enter LDAP Password:
   adding new entry "dc=mycompany,dc=com"
   ldap_add: Already exists

   ldif_record() = 68

OK so it exists already which isn't what the docs suggest should happen.
But anyway, I change the base.ldif file by removing the first entry,
leaving only the admin entry.
8. So now base.ldif looks like:
---
dn: cn=admin,dc=mycompany,dc=com
cn: admin
objectClass: organizationalRole
---
9. Try to ldapadd the base.ldif file:
   ldapadd -x -W -f test_base.ldif
   Enter LDAP Password:
   adding new entry "cn=admin,dc=mycompany,dc=com"
   ldap_add: Insufficient access
           additional info: no write access to parent

	   ldif_record() = 50

Arrrgggh!
Ok so now I try adding the base.ldif file using slapadd.  First slapadd
complained that there was not objectClass "top" defined in schema so I
changed the base.ldif file to look like:
---
dn: dc=mycompany,dc=com
dc: mycompany
objectClass: top
objectClass: dcObject
objectClass: organization
o: MIT Devin

dn: cn=admin,dc=mycompany,dc=com
cn: admin
objectClass: organizationalRole
---
10. slapadd -l base.ldif
    No objectClass "top" defined in schema
    slapadd: slap_schema_prep failed!

I give up.  Can someone post some specific schema examples that will
work.  The examples on the openldap site don't seem to work:
http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin/quickstart.html

Cheers.
Mark.