Re: printing - from beginning

Sandip P Deshmukh said:

> i run debian woody 3.0 and i have a good working hp deskjet 710c connected
> to my parellel port.
>
> what kernel modules do i need to load so that i am able to print?

parport
parport_pc
lp

I reccomend enabling the IRQ on your parallel port, the default IRQ
on most systems is 7, so:
echo 7 >/proc/parport/0/irq (2.2.x kernels only)
(put this in a startup script somewhere)

turning that on will greatly improve the speed of the printer in
many cases.

to turn on the IRQ on your parport on 2.4.x its a command
line option to one of the modules(parport_pc i think)

modprobe parport_pc irq=7

if that fails try doing it to the parport module.

your printer(Deskjet 710C) is a winprinter, doing some quick
research I didn't find much info on it, apparently it is possible
for it to work, the fastest way may be to install the printer
on a Suse, redhat, mandrake or something system let it configure
the printer(if they can) and copy the config over. or you can
google some more ..the printer doesn't appear to accept postscript
or ascii, some special filter has to be run before printing to
convert the data into something the printer understands.

good luck.

nate