Re: How to pronounce "Debian"?

On  0, will trillich <will@serensoft.com> wrote:
[snip]
> all that remains is determining the 'right' sylLAble (and finding
> the etymological heritage of each and every word). :)

You have hit the nail right, squarely on the head here.  A word's
pronunciation depends entirely on its history.  Since English is a
horrid combination of French, middle German and Latin, with some Norse
and (a little bit of) Spanish thrown in for good measure, how a word
is pronounced depends entirely on which language its roots are in.
The "caliope" example is in fact a bit misleading, since it is not
spelt that way.  The word is in fact calliope, and its pronunciation
is cal-LEYE-op-ee; the extra 'l' affecting the pronunciation is a
(fairly) regular pattern in English, especially in the parts derived
from Latin or French (mostly from Latin anyway).  I think.
IANALinguist.

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"There are few things more satisfying than seeing your children have teenagers of their own."
	- Doug Larson

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au