Von: Karl E. Jorgensen [mailto:karl@jorgensen.com]
Gesendet: Freitag, 18. Oktober 2002 14:54
An: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Betreff: Re: Kernel parameters

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:47:06AM +0200, Yildiz, Murat wrote:

> Hi ,
> I have searched the maillist archive but found nothing.
> Where can I find documentation about kernel parameters?Especially for
those
> under /proc/sys/fs , vm and kernel.
> What I want to do is , lowering the filesystem cache rate, so the Oracle
> Databases (over 20 instances) may allocate more memory.I have the feeling
> the OS doesn't give back cached memory back when asked, because I am
getting
> memory errors from Oracle.

What memory errors are you getting?  (I'm not sure about the "feeling"; it
seems a bit unsubstantiated.)

Oracle likes to keep the SGA in memory, and uses lots of shared memory
and a couple of semaphores to accomodate that.  Check the oracle install
guide - you should find references to modifying

    /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
    /proc/sys/kernel/sem

On most systems, this is not a problem, but for a highly-tuned
production database (or a single box with lots of databases) it can get
a little tight.

--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com