firewall options

I have a small home LAN and decided to protect it with a firewall.
Some time ago I built a small box with spare items and installed
Smoothwall on it with two NICs (one on the Green channel and the
other on the Red channel with a modem to connect to my ISP).

Although I can access the Smoothwall box from browsers on either
of my other boxes, I can't configure it (not even the ppp connection).
I asked Smoothwall's list for assistance but got no reply from anyone
using Debian and can find no help searching the net.

I'm now wondering if it might be better to get rid of Smoothwall and
put a minimal installation of Debian on the firewall box. Does anyone
have any advice, please?

There are a number of 'annoying' things with Smoothwall despite
a lot of write ups. A ppp profile was partly configured in the setup
and my moden was identified as being on 'COM1'.  No changes can be
made to a profile 'while RED is active' and I can't find how to
deactivate the channel without going well back into the install
program. The firewall log talks of 'UDP Protocol', 'source
192.168.0.1' ( I use 192.168.1.x ),  'Netbios ports 137 and 138'
and lots more which I have certainly not provided info for.
This 0.9.9 Linux version seems more inclined to Windows - it
certainly gives much more info on configuring for that.

Any suggestions what I should consider doing? Whichever way
I proceed, I shall need help in configuring my boxes to 'go through
the firewall' to get email, download data and browse etc.

John.